Charlemagne Stavanger

Friday, July 07, 2006

FIFA WORLD CUP OVERVIEW

As early July begins, the 2006 FIFA World Cup draws to a close. After three weeks of stiff competition, an all European Final Four was produced; and the Italians and French are going to duel it out at the Fianls this sunday. To me, this conclusion was a totally unexpected and chucked my predictions staight down the drain.
The biggest upset this year is of course that neither socer powerhouse Brazil nor Germany(I don't usually watch soccer) made it to the finals. The home team Germany put on a stellar performance right up until facing he Italians in a stalemate (like so many other World Cup elimination games) concluding with an Italian goaldue to positional negligence.



The Italian made yet another goal a few minutes later, making their victory final and sent the Germans home.
Brazil vs. France, omg, I still can't get over this, just look at the stats. The odds against the Frenchmen were just to great. Brazil has a team of world class soccer superstars, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka and take a look at the Frenchmen performance.

Finishing off second in their group after Switzerland, France tied both Swiss and Korea, only winning agianst Togo. I mean come on, for that group I was rooting for Korea...
With all that been said, this World Cup Finals maybe quite interesting, of course not a good as German vs. Brazil. I think France might just win with their...I don't know what to call it, usual luck, underdog determination, or new found skill but they have a formidable Italian team to beat.

posted by Stavanger at 7:54 PM


1 Comments:

  • I did not see the games but looked with curiosity at something that usually ends in riots. Your short report on the games made them sound interesting -- though I don't think its worth 90 minutes of my time to watch the real thing.

    Thanks for the work

    I like the site as it is.

    By Blogger Kluelessluke, at 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home